9/02/2008

A fun start

So, the idea for my first Flog entry came from another Flog - Very Good Taste A blog about eating and drinking - and the entry called "The Omnivore's Hundred". You can find it here: http://www.verygoodtaste.co.uk/uncategorised/the-omnivores-hundred/.

The Omnivore's Hundred is an inventory of "100 things that I think every good omnivore should have tried at least once in their life". The author recommends folks annotate their lists and I just love the idea of itemizing...and getting some ideas for things to try. Here's my itemized list (with appropriate commentary. Enjoy!

1. Venison - Yes
2. Nettle tea - Yes
3. Huevos rancheros - I think so. But, I think I'll try to make it myself and be sure. :)
4. Steak tartare - Tuna yes, steak I don't think so.
5. Crocodile - Nope
6. Black pudding - Nope, maybe never.
7. Cheese fondue - Oh, yes, yes, yes!
8. Carp - I don't think so.
9. Borscht - No
10. Baba ghanoush - Yes
11. Calamari - Yes
12. Pho - Yes
13. PB&J sandwich - Yes
14. Aloo gobi - No. Well, I didn't think so. But, when I looked it up (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aloo_gobi) I thought I might have.
15. Hot dog from a street cart - Yep
16. Epoisses - I've had a lot of cheese, but I don't think so.
17. Black truffle - Maybe. If Johnny P. made me eat it in something.
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes - Does Boone's Wine count? ;)
19. Steamed pork buns - Yes, yum!
20. Pistachio ice cream - Yes, yum.
21. Heirloom tomatoes - Yes
22. Fresh wild berries - Yes, picked them myself.
23. Foie gras - Morally opposed.
24. Rice and beans - Yes
25. Brawn, or head cheese - No, and you can't make me. (I don't do sweetbreads either.)
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper - Nope. Too wimpy - and I value my taste buds.
27. Dulce de leche - Not the real thing.
28. Oysters - Yes!
29. Baklava - Yes!
30. Bagna cauda - No. Just had to look it up (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagna_cauda). Sounds great!
31. Wasabi peas - No. Have always avoided them. Guess I'll have to reconsider.
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl - Yes.
33. Salted lassi - No, sounds good.
34. Sauerkraut - Yes. Love it!
35. Root beer float - Oh, yes!
36. Cognac with a fat cigar - Fat cigar, yes. Cognac - no.
37. Clotted cream tea - Eh, no. I'm not inspired.
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O - Does a Jell-O shot count?
39. Gumbo - I don't think so.
40. Oxtail - No, saw one at the Lexington Market once and wasn't impressed.
41. Curried goat - No.
42. Whole insects - Not intentially. I can die happy without.
43. Phaal - Hotter than the Vindaloo? No way. See #26
44. Goat’s milk - No
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more - No
46. Fugu (aka the lethally poisonous pufferfish) - No, thank you.
47. Chicken tikka masala - Love it!
48. Eel - No
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut - Oh, yeeeeeeah!
50. Sea urchin - No
51. Prickly pear - Cactus? No.
52. Umeboshi - No, sounds good.
53. Abalone - No. I'm not inspired.
54. Paneer - No
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal - Uh, I am an American.
56. Spaetzle - No
57. Dirty gin martini - Vodka, yes. Gin, no.
58. Beer above 8% ABV - I've never really looked.
59. Poutine - No, but I'm going to Canada soon. I'll have to find it.
60. Carob chips - Yes.
61. S’mores - On my honor!
62. Sweetbreads - Seee #25. Not a chance.
63. Kaolin - The Internet indicates that eating this is a form of Pica. Anyone have a recipe?
64. Currywurst - No, sounds good!
65. Durian - No
66. Frogs’ legs - No
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake - Oh, yea! Authentic from the state fair as a child and in the French Quarter pre-Katrina.
68. Haggis - Not a chance!
69. Fried plantain - Yes!
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette - No, thanks.
71. Gazpacho - Yes
72. Caviar and blini - No
73. Louche absinthe - No
74. Gjetost, or brunost - No
75. Roadkill - Not a chance.
76. Baijiu - No
77. Hostess Fruit Pie -Yes!
78. Snail - No
79. Lapsang souchong - More cheese? I've had a lot of cheese, but, no.
80. Bellini - No
81. Tom yum - No
82. Eggs Benedict - Yum!
83. Pocky - Yes
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant - Who's buyin'?
85. Kobe beef - No
86. Hare - No
87. Goulash - No
88. Flowers - Um, what kind?
89. Horse - Not that I am aware of.
90. Criollo chocolate - No
91. Spam - No
92. Soft shell crab - I'm from the capital of soft shell crabs, but just can't do it.
93. Rose harissa - No
94. Catfish - No
95. Mole poblano - Yes
96. Bagel and lox - No
97. Lobster Thermidor
98. Polenta - Yes
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee - No, but I would like to.
100. Snake - No

Now that I'm done, I'm wishing this was in a database format so I could summary which I have/had not/won't ever/would like to. :)

1 comment:

miss kate said...

HOW is it possible that you have never eaten catfish??? HOW???

I might have to stop talking to you.

*smh*